Wednesday, October 14, 2015

French Resistance Redux

I finally got my hands on Kristen Hannah's historical fiction The Nightingale, an historical fiction about the courageous young women who served in the French Resistance during world War II.  While the book is fine on its own merit, I had the nagging feeling that I had read this book before.  And I did.  I already sobbed  my way through Tatiana deRosnay's very emotional Sarah's Key. I loved Anthony Doerr's lyrical writing in All the Light we Cannot See.  And I worked my way through Caroline Moorehead's meticulously researched A Train in Winter. 

The Nightingale was okay for somebody looking for a quick read.  But for somebody with a serious interest in history, the other books listed above provide much more detail and historical accuracy about these courageous young women.

No comments:

Post a Comment